Friday, October 9, 2009

one step forward 2 steps back

It has been a week since my last post, because I have been having one of those Murphy's law weeks.

 I gave permission to give a Pnemonia vaccination to Craig last weel, and it seems to have undone all the progress he has made and then some. The first day after the shot, he could barely speak and shuffled, not recognizing me.
 The next visit was worse, with him walking into walls, and trying to avoid me at all costs.
I spoke to the ombudsperson and told her ot to schedule a follow up.The first meeting yielded mixed results, and I haveno time for a second ineffectual meeting.
Then I called the prospective nursing home, only to be told that the admissions person was no longer there.
The woman I eventually spoke to was the person that initially evaluated Craig, and said she would check the status of the waiting list and get back to me. It is now 4 days later, and nothing.
I also tried to call in intermittent hours on my FMLA, only to be told it expired in September, but no one told me. Nor did they ask if I wanted to renew it.Now I will have to go thru the hassle again of trying to get a doctor to fill it out.
 I placed a call to the SW at the nursing home, and left a message (in a meeting as usual) asking if she would contact Craig's docotor about filling the forms out ( he is associated with the nursing home).Twio days later and no call back. When I arrive at the nursing home, she is gone both afternoons long before office hours are done.
Also got a call from the attorney's office today, from an assistant, who didn't even know what I was going to the office for, but wanted to know if I wanted to schedule a follow up appt. Set it up for the same day as the Neuro appt for Craig. Might as well blow the whole day!
 On top of that, Craig's disability check did not come on schedule, and I panicked. I received a call from the nursing home stating they had the check.Only on my arrival to pick up the check did I find out that they had applied and been designated his rep payee, without anyone notifying me. I told them I had applied to have the check direct deposited the day before, so we would have to wait and see what SS did with his future checks.

Anyone who thinks that placing their LO will ease the caretaking burden, needs to rethink.The challenges are different, but they are not easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment